I’ve had the idea for this cloud mobile in my head for a while now, but I couldn’t quite figure out how I wanted to construct it. When I started working with triple and quadruple crochets to make the sunshine pillow that I’m sharing on I’m Topsy Turvy today, I finally got the ideas flowing for this cloud.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
2 skein any worsted weight yarn in grey and blue
(I used Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand)
1 size H crochet hook
sl st- slip stitch
sc- single crochet
hdc- half double crochet
dc- double crochet
tr- triple (treble) crochet
dtr- double triple crochet
trtr- triple treble crochet
Let’s get begin:
Cloud piece (in grey yarn)
1. Ch 40 (including first ch created by fastening on). Dc in 3rd ch from hook and in each remaining ch across.
2. Turn. Ch 2. Dc in each st across.
3. Repeat step 2 for 5 more rows.
4. Don’t turn! Ch 3. Working down short side of rectangle, space your sts as evenly as you can manage. 2 tr in next st. Dc in next st. Hdc in next st. Sc in next st. Dc in next st. Tr in next 2 sts. 2 dtr in next st. Tr in next 2 sts. Sc in next 2 sts. Working along bottom of rectangle now: sc in each st across. Working up short side of rectangle: Sc in next 5 sts. Dc in next st. Tr in next 2 sts. Dc in next st. Sc in next 2 sts. 3 dc in top corner. Working along top edge now: 2 tr in next st. 2 dtr in next st. 2 tr in next st. Dc in next st. Sc in next 2 sts. Dc in next st. Tr in next st. 2 dtr in next st. 2 trtr in next st. 2 dtr in next st. 2 tr in next st. Dc in next st. Sc in next st. 2 dc in next 3 sts. Sc in next st. (dc, tr) in next st. 2 dtr in next 2 sts. Tr in next st. Dc in next st. Sc in next st. Dc in next st. Tr in next st. 2 dtr in next st. 3 trtr in next st. 2 dtr in next st. 2 tr in next st. 2 dc in next st. Sc in next st. Sl st in top loop of ch 3. Fasten off. Weave in loose end.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make a second cloud piece. When finished, don’t fasten off.
6. Place two cloud pieces together, working through corresponding stitches of each cloud piece: sc in each st around, except sl st in every sc st. Before you get all the way around, stuff cloud with pillow filling. Continue around and fasten off. Weave in loose end.
7. Still with grey yarn, fasten on in a st on the top edge, ch 40, sl st in st on opposite side. Fasten off.
Raindrop pieces (with blue yarn):
1. Ch 4. Sl st in first ch to form loop. Ch 2. 10 dc in center of loop. 2 tr in center of loop. Ch 2. Sc in first ch. 2 tr in center of loop. Dc in center of loop. Sl st in top loop of ch 2. Fasten off.
2. Using tapestry needle and blue yarn, thread two rain drops. Making sure to leave space in between drops. Fasten on to bottom of cloud on one side.
3. Repeat step 2 with 3 raindrops to place in the middle, and again with last two raindrops to place on the opposite side.
This mobile would be fun to hang on the wall in a nursery or child’s room, or hang it from the ceiling above their bed and let them watch the rain drops twist, turn, and dangle!