crochet love {wrap sweater}

It is snowing like crazy outside right now and I am so excited! We ventured out for lunch today because it didn’t look like anything was going to happen…then BAM! Suddenly the roads were already covered by inches of snow!
We barely made it home (we live in the country, where the roads never get plowed). My husband even had to walk home after his truck got stuck. Snow around here is just so exciting. It’s the perfect excuse to warm up with some yarn in your lap and a crochet hook or two.
You could even work on making this cute wrap sweater!…
This wrap sweater was inspired by Wool and the Gang’s Cross My Heart Wrap. I love all of their designs, and could browse their site for ever. I saw this wrap and thought it was so cute, but something simple enough that I could make my self! Their version is knit, but I decided to crochet mine in a textured stitch that almost looks knit.

How did I make it?
Well, the idea is so simple. You basically crochet one long, long piece, sew the ends together, and wrap around yourself!
But here is a little more detailed description:
With 4 skeins Vanna’s Choice yarn (worsted weight) and size I crochet hook.
1. Ch 35. Tr into 4th ch from hook. Dc in next ch. *Tr in next ch. Dc in next ch. Continue from * until the end of the row. Should end with dc in last ch (33 sts total including 3 ch from beginning). Turn.
2. Ch 2. *1 bpdc around tr from previous row. Tr in next st. Continue from * to last st (which is a ch 3 from previous row). Dc in last st instead of tr. Turn.
3. Ch 2. *Tr in next st. 1 fpdc around next st. Continue from * to last st (which is ch 3 from previous row). 1 Dc in last st instead of fpdc. Turn.
4. Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have worked through all 4 skiens of yarn. Fasten off, leaving a long tail.
Before sewing short ends together, place wrap across your back at the shoulders. Bring the ends to the front and cross them over your chest. Wrap each end down and around your back. Where the short ends meet behind your back, is where they need to be sewn together. Have someone help you if needed.
Optional step: Sew the top and bottom back sections together from side to side, as shown in picture below–

That’s it! The trickiest part is putting it together the right way.
This wrap is also great because you can use it in a few different ways! Besides a wrap, you can also wear it as a cowl, or even pull it up over your head like a hood (or snood…but I don’t like that word).

I hope you enjoy! I’m off to go stare at the snow and at my pile of yarn to figure out what I want to make next!
Email with any questions! LindsayHaynie [at] gmail dot com

Advertisements

30 thoughts on “crochet love {wrap sweater}

1. Sara says:

I'm head over heals in love with this design! And I MUST make one of these. Hope you won't mind me linking to the pattern tomorrow at Tangled Happy. Thank you for sharing!

2. Lindsay Haynie says:

For any wondering about the dimensions of the sweater:

9 1/2 inches wide and approximately 82 inches long

Please also remember that there will be plenty of stretch, both ways!

If you want to alter the sizing, you can:
    a. use a different hook and/or yarn size
    b. add chains to your beginning chain to make it wider
    c. make the piece longer

3. RecycleCindy says:

Love your wrap and I shared it with my group on Ravelry. One question a few people had was if it was hard to put on? It's a great looking wrap and I'd love to crochet it for my DIL.

4. Pamela Ross says:

Are we allowed to sell finished products from this design? As long as we link to the pattern for people that crochet? I think this design is SO adorable and I would love to be able to share it even with people that don't crochet 🙂 Thanks bunches!

5. Spic 'n Span says:

Thank you for sharing your pattern. It is a wrap I have been trying to figure out how to crochet since seeing the knitted version.
    I finished one a few weeks ago. You can see it on my G+ account.

6. Nathan Bryant says:

I don't understand the OPTIONAL section. Everything blends in the picture, so its hard to tell. Once you sew both short ends together l, what else is there to sew that's considered the top and bottom of the back?

7. Shannon Murphy says:

A snood is really more of just a crocheted sort of bag to put your hair into, not really worn for warmth but for decoration. So really isn't an appropriate term for use with your garment, so you may be relieved since it isn't a word you like. 🙂

8. readbabyread says:

Bpdc is a back post double crochet. Think of crochet stitches as fence posts; you have a post, then a space, post, space, etc. Instead of making a dc in the top loops of the stitch below, you will go around the whole post. To make a bpdc: insert the hook from the back of your work into the space to the right of the post beneath, go around the stitch, and back out the left space. Then yo as usual and make a dc. To make a fpdc: insert the hook from the front into the space to the right of the stitch, go around the post, and bring it out the left side. Then yo and make a dc. Each variation lends a different texture to the work. Hope that 's not too confusing! lol. If so, youtube has several videos. (btw, check out Russian joins if you don't want to tie knots anymore when joining new yarn!)

9. readbabyread says:

To clarify (as it looks confusing to me!) – insert your hook from back to front thru the space to the right of the post, go around the post, then from front to back thru the space to the left of the post. Then yo, pull the hook thru both spaces, yo, pull thru 2, yo pull thru 2.

10. redheadedchica says:

Here Is definition of snood…..I'd always thought it was only the hair bag, also….

snood
    sno͞od/
    noun
    an ornamental hairnet or fabric bag worn over the hair at the back of a woman's head.
    a wide ring of knitted material worn as a hood or scarf.
    a short line attaching a hook to a main line in sea fishing.
    Origin

Old English snōd, of unknown origin.
    Translate snood to
    Use over time for: snood