Get Hooked! {shell stitch fingerless gloves}

I’ve been crocheting a lot lately.
It really helps me work off all the frustration I’ve been feeling.
I’d much rather work my fingers raw and end up accomplishing something I’m proud of, than let my frustrations out on my kids.
When I do that, I’m not proud.
I just want you to know that I really, really, really love my boys…no matter how much free time they deprive me of…no matter how much I complain…
Because in the long run…none of that really matters, does it?
Family is forever, and I love my babies just the way they are.

So moving on…

Fingerless gloves are ever so popular these days.
I guess that happens when every one has a touch screen gadget of some sort, and the gloves with the little patch on the pointer finger are not cute, whatsoever.

So, I worked up an easy little pattern for you if your hands are cold, but you need a little mobility without sacrificing style.

{Shell Stitch Fingerless Gloves}
Get your free pattern HERE!
(Make sure your pdf reading software is up to date, or it might not open!)

You can easily add/subtract rows to the pattern depending on how long/short you like them.
I think they look best with a long sleeved shirt or under a coat.
They are fashionable and with the right color yarn, you can really spice up an otherwise ordinary outfit!
You could even pair them with a cute bow, sparkly bow, or flower pin.

***And don’t forget about my new Get Hooked! series coming up in January!

Think Happy Thoughts will begin the first week of January and is a crochet series where I post a new Free pattern every week until the end of February. This time around, my patterns are focusing on all things fanciful and magical…think fairy tales, knights, and happy endings!

24 thoughts on “Get Hooked! {shell stitch fingerless gloves}

1. Aimee says:

I just bought a goodwill sweater that I'm going to do this with! TOO CUTE! You make me excited to get going! I absolutely LOVE your blog and am excited to be your newest follower!!! I'd love it if you'd return the “love” on your next visit!!!

XO,
    Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com

2. Tiffany E. says:

I love these mittens! I'm trying to make a pair for my sister but, somehow, they are either too big or I am adding a shell to each row when I should not be. Could you possibly edit pattern to state how many shells are in each row? I would really appreciate it.

3. Abby Moreland says:

Awesome pattern! I was wondering if I could sell the finished fingerless gloves on my Etsy? I could link back to this post/your blog if you would like me to. Let me know if that's okay, or if you wouldn't be comfortable with that. Thanks! =)

Abby

4. Sarah Jones says:

I too am finding that they are coming out large and think I'm adding extra shells somehow. I'm a pretty decent crocheter… not advanced but not novice, but I still can't seem to figure out what's going wrong. I second the request to know how many shells are on each row. Thanks!!! LOVE THEM!
    Sarah

5. Curtsay says:

Here are the number of stitches/shells for each row. Working around the thumb hole in steps 4 and 5 is the tricky part. After looking at the number of shells for each step, please let me know if you still have questions!

Step 2. 30 DC including the first ch 3.
    Step 3. 5 shell stitches.
    Step 4. 4 shell stitches.
    Step 5. 4 shell stitches.
    Step 6. 4 shell stitches.
    and so on.

6. kimberk says:

I just made these for my 16 year old daughter. She LOVES them. After I was done with them she wanted them a bit longer towards the fingers so I added 2 rows of sc, a row of hdc then a row of crab stitch. LOVE, love love the pattern. Thanks so very much.

7. Melissa G says:

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the pattern. I feel like Im doing something wong on step 4. When I follow the directions it doesnt seem right. That row seems too tight. I waa wondering if there is a step missing? After the asterik it says to skip 3 dcs twice? Is there a st that should be there? I appreciate your help. Thx

8. Lindsay Haynie - Love City says:

Melissa, it might help if you think of it a little differently. Instead of focusing on the sts that you are skipping, just remember to place 1 shell stitch in the sc space of the previous row, and 1 single crochet in the ch 1 space from the shell stitch of the previous row. The shells go together kind of like a puzzle, fitting neatly in between the shells of the previous row. There should be 4 shells in step 4. Let me know if you have any further questions.

9. Kris J. says:

My hands are a bit larger/longer than “normal” and I feel like the thumb hole may be too small. Any suggestions on making the chain 4 longer and how that will effect the rest of the pattern? Any help would be appreciated.

10. Adri Jo says:

*question!* How would I make these in “youth” size (for small 10 year old). How many chain stitches would I start with, and how many shells around?
    By the way, I LOVE you gloves!!! Hope I can make them look as good as you have! Great pattern. It reads WAY better than other glove patterns I was looking at. What a darling color you picked too! That mustard yellow is so IN right now! 🙂
    Many thanks,
    Adrizzell (http://adrijohnson.blogspot.com)

11. Lindsay Haynie - Love City says:

Adri Jo, to make these for a 10 year old, I actually wouldn't change the pattern! They are a pretty universal fit and yarn typically has some stretch to it. If you need to you could always use a smaller hook or a 3 ply yarn instead of worsted.

12. BlondeBlogger says:

After spending two nights on this and needing to make them as quickly as possible as a gift, I have finally figured out why mine keep turning out too large with extra shells. Between the asterisks, it says to do a shell, skip 2, do a sc, then repeat. It does not say to skip two stitches again before making the next shell. This is a crucial step! I have frogged these several times, changed hooks and pulled my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn’t get this pattern to work! Please save others the same agony and correct that step, lol! Thank you!!

13. BlondeBlogger says:

Also, when you say, skip 3 dc **spaces** and work a shell stitch in the next sc **space**, do you mean to say **stitch** instead? Or should we be working in the space between the sc and 3 dcs as the instructions say? I think you meant to say to work it into the sc stitch and not the space around it, right?